A new Elementary 2 class will commence on Sunday, 9th August 2020. Lessons are twice a week, on Sundays (10.00am – 12.00pm) and Tuesdays (7.30pm – 9.30pm). Please note that we currently DO NOT have any facility to process online registrations. To ensure you have a seat, please visit our Society’s office during our opening hours to register and pay the fees in full. Only students who have paid the fees in full are considered to be registered. Failure to settle the fees by the end of the first lesson will result a forfeit and the seat will be offered to the next eligible applicant. We apologize for this inconvenience as class sizes are now limited to 20 persons on a first-come-first-serve basis in order to ensure adequate social distancing as mandated by current Government guidelines. You may refer to our FAQ for general course details and other related information.
A new Elementary 1 class will commence on Tuesday, 18th August 2020. Lessons are twice a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays (7.30pm – 9.30pm). Please note that we currently DO NOT have any facility to process online registrations. To ensure you have a seat, please visit our Society’s office during our opening hours to register and pay the fees in full. Only students who have paid the fees in full are considered to be registered. Failure to settle the fees by the end of the first lesson will result a forfeit and the seat will be offered to the next eligible applicant. We apologize for this inconvenience as class sizes are now limited to 20 persons on a first-come-first-serve basis in order to ensure adequate social distancing as mandated by current Government guidelines. You may refer to our FAQ for general course details and other related information.
We are pleased to announce that starting 27th July 2020, the Penang Japanese Language Society will be resuming lessons on premises. In adherence to government regulations, all students are requested to register their names, contact numbers, and body temperature at the office every time before proceeding to their respective classrooms. Students are also reminded to obey “new normal” social distancing measures. Wearing of masks is encouraged. Moving forward, new intakes will have enrollments not exceeding 20 persons. For students of existing classes which already have student enrollments that exceed 20 persons, please make sure you contact your respective teachers to rearrange the lesson times to meet the 20 person max per session criteria. Thank you for your cooperation.
Dear members and followers of the Penang Japanese Language Society: in response to inquiries about online classes by our students, we would like to provide guidance regarding our current policy:
Teachers who were holding classes that were suspended as a result of the MCO are permitted to conduct online classes to finish the syllabus with following conditions:
- 100% of all students attending that specific intake have mutually agreed in writing or electronic communications to continue classes online.
- The teacher conducting the class shall be responsible for taking attendance, and must report accordingly to the Society.
- Teachers and students are allowed to use any online platform that is mutually agreed upon. Reasonable precautions should be taken by both teachers and students to ensure the platform chosen provides adequate data privacy and security for all the users involved. The Society shall not be held liable for any breaches that occur as a result of usage of the said platform.
- Both teachers and students must be adequately proficient in the usage of their chosen online platform to ensure lessons are conducted without interruption. Common online etiquette should be adhered to allow for a smooth experience.
- For students of ongoing intakes, please contact your teachers for further details.
Regarding new intakes:
Until government regulations specifically allow for the education sector to commence physical operations, there will be no new intakes, whether physically or online. This decision was made in consideration for the logistics involved in setting up a new class.
We regret to inform that the Japanese Language Proficiency Test 2020A scheduled for 5th July 2020 has been cancelled worldwide due to the COViD19 virus. All fees paid to the test administrator will be repaid in full. For more details, please refer to the announcement on the JLSM home page.
On the 16th of March 2020, the Malaysian Registrar of Societies instructed all registered organisations in the country to postpone any conferences or general assemblies until June 30, 2020. In compliance to this directive, all classes and planned group meetings of the Penang Japanese Language Society, including the Annual General Meeting scheduled for 22nd March 2020, shall be postponed until further notice. Teachers of all current ongoing classes have been advised to inform their enrolled students accordingly. Resumption of lessons and new intakes will be announced in due course once the situation improves. During this time however, the Society’s premises will still be open to provide support for other official matters that do not require group gatherings, such as that related to the registration of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). For such matters, visitors are reminded to abide by the policy posted on 12th March 2020 when conducting Society business.
During these trying times, please stay healthy, and practice good hygiene and social distancing measures recommended by our Ministry of Health. Let’s do our collective part to combat the spread of COVID19
The Penang Japanese Language Society is monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely and evaluating the latest recommendations for public health officials. Our aim is to ensure we take thoughtful and measured actions that will keep our members and students safe while minimizing disruption to our activities. The following are our recommendations and guidelines for conducting business and attending lessons at PJLS:
- If you are feeling unwell and have any flu-like symptoms, please put on an appropriate face mask and go see a doctor. Please do not come to class. Take adequate rest and follow medical advice.
- If you, or someone in close contact to you has been placed on mandatory or voluntary self quarantine / isolation orders by the authorities or an employer, please refrain from coming to class for a minimum of 14 days from the start date of self quarantine.
- Please take appropriate self hygiene measures at all times, including washing hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds after touching common surfaces. Alternatively, please use alcohol based hand sanitizers.
- If you have traveled to a known COVID hotspot in the recent past, e.g., Japan, China, South Korea, Singapore, Italy etc., please refrain from coming to class for a minimum of 14 days from arriving back in Malaysia
- Please refer to official / credible sources of the latest information and recommendations on what to do. A good place to start would be the Ministry of Health. Facebook and Social Media are NOT appropriate sources of medical advice.
- Please DO NOT circulate unsubstantiated rumours, quack cures and news of dubious origin relating to COVID-19 that you receive. You could cause panic or unintentionally harm someone with bad advice.
- Lastly please do not steal our toilet rolls 🙂
Please be informed that the Penang Japanese Language Society will be conducting its Annual General Meeting on 22nd of March 2020 (Sunday) 230 pm. Attendance of all registered members of the Society is much appreciated.
A new Elementary 2 class will commence on Tuesday, 3rd Jan 2020. Lessons are twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays (7.40pm – 9.40pm). Please refer to our FAQ for general course details and related information.
A new Elementary 2 class will commence on Tuesday, 17th September 2019. Lessons are twice a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays (7.30pm – 9.30pm). Please refer to our FAQ for general course details and related information.