1. What courses do you offer and what are the fees?
The current published rates are as follows
Elementary 1 (72 hrs) : RM601
Elementary 2 (64 hrs) : RM541 < Completion of this level will approximate JLPT N5 requirements
Intermediate 1 (64 hrs) : RM580
Intermediate 2 (64 hrs) : RM598 < Completion of this level will approximate JLPT N4 requirements
Advanced (16 hrs) : RM297 < Continuing Education to achieve JLPT N3 proficiency and beyond
Conversation* (16 hrs) : RM297 < Continuing Education to achieve JLPT N3 proficiency and beyond
The PJLS uses Minna no Nihongo as the main textbook along with some other supplementary material at the individual instructors’ discretion
2. The scheduling of the class you just announced does not suit me. Can I change to another day?
The opening of new classes is dependent on 3 main factors:
- the availability of a teacher to teach
- the availability of a class room
- sufficient student quorum.
The most important factor is the Teacher factor. We are a voluntary non-profit organization which depends on volunteer teachers. The times and days are fixed by the teachers according to their own schedules, while the Society just allots the classroom space. If you can’t make it for one course, please leave your contact number with our clerk and she will contact you if a new class with a more suitable schedule opens.
3. When is the next class / Please PM next class details to me?
Please like and follow our Facebook page to be kept up to date on the latest class announcements. If we haven’t published any announcements it means there likely isn’t a new class scheduled yet. For the latest info always call the Society during our opening hours and someone will be there to help you with your inquiries. Even if a class is not immediately scheduled, if you leave your name and contact number with our clerk or teaching personnel, we will get back to you once we start another class.
4. Are all your teachers qualified Japanese native speakers?
Not all our teachers are native Japanese speakers, but that doesn’t mean that they are not well equipped to teach! The PJLS is one of the oldest institutions specialized in the teaching of the Japanese language in Penang. Many of our local teachers are not only certified by the Japan Foundation, but have many valuable years of teaching the language and are attuned to the needs of local students. We also have capable native speakers of the language among our teaching staff.
5. Do you teach Japanese for [Business/Science & Technology/Literature etc]?
No, we do not have specialized courses, but our advanced level classes are quite flexible and the teacher may accomodate a special request if considered reasonable.
6. Do you teach Japanese for young children?
Unfortunately no. We cater primarily for working adults, college students and children of sufficient school-going age.
7. I need to master Japanese in a big hurry because I’m (dating a Japanese / going to study in Japan in 2 months’ time / planning to do big business with a Japanese associate next week). Can you teach me?
While we empathize with your sense of urgency we do not provide intensive crash courses.
8. I need to translate a 200 page technical document into Japanese / from Japanese to English in a big hurry. Can you help me?
NO. Please seek a professional translation service.
9. I studied up to xxxx level in another institution. How will I know which class is suitable for me?
Please refer to Question #1 .
10. May I come to observe a class before deciding to join?
Usually the answer is no, but please contact our clerk at the adminstrative office if you have a justifiable need.
11. Where is the PJLS and how do I contact the Society?
This information is already published on our Facebook Page and Website (http://www.pjls.org).
12. Could you please send me the fee & course details/schedule of classes?
Please refer to Question #1. We will not entertain individual requests for such information by email or PM due to the overwhelming number of inquiries
13. Could you please register me for xxx course?
The site admin is not in charge of admissions or registrations. Please show up on the first day of the announced class your are interested in and register yourself with the clerk in charge.
14. I called the Society but no one picks up and it goes into voicemail.
That’s because our opening hours are Mondays-Fridays 7pm to 930pm and Sundays 9am to 12pm. If you call at any other time, it will divert into voicemail because there’s no one around. Rest assured that we do retrieve our voicemail everyday. Please do not hesitate to leave a voicemail clearly stating your name, inquiry and contact number.
15. Can I pay by credit card or installment?
No. We only accept cash, and we do not have any installment plans.
16. How do I contact the site admin?
For miscellaneous inquiries related to classes or fees please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.